Friday, July 6, 2012

It's in the doing

I persuaded myself to go to the gym this evening and called my husband to tell him where I'd be. He told me to "have fun." I told him that was unlikely but once inside, the words came back to me. Well obviously the workout was not going to be fun but maybe I could find another source. People watching, now that's the ticket.
Now here comes a young lady everything matching beautifully, she strolls around the perimeter and finally settles daintily on a bike. Out comes the smart phone all the better to text you with. Up goes the hair, no down goes the hair. Up goes the hair, no down goes the hair. Oh, pedal, that's it very slowly ...  
Arrange the jacket, continue texting ... pedal, pedal, really, really slowly ...
Obviously, being at the gym is the same as a workout in the same way sitting in a garage makes one a car, or going to church makes one a Christian.
Doing matters. Jesus said the ones who do the will of the Father are blessed, they reap the benefits of the exercise.
If we believe these are indeed the last days, it's going to take a lot more than simply "showing up" at the right places (church and church related activities) in order to impact our world. It will take a lot more than simply asking the "WWJD" question. We will definitely need, at all cost to do what Jesus would. Forget being, cute, comfortable, and correct!  It's not about us being on parade but Christ displayed by the lives we live. Break a sweat!

No comments:

Post a Comment