Saturday, November 17, 2012

Its Travelling time. Do you know what your fees are?


On my recent trip to St. Thomas USVI, my hosts booked with Spirit Airlines because of an attractivly low fare. I packed carefully making sure my bag was well under fity pounds (because I thought that was the limit) and had a nice carry on, handbag and computer. Oops! One piece two many. The computer would count as one carry on, and I would need to pay $45 for the legitimate carry-on or $50 to have it checked. I choose the later and found the first piece of checked luggage was also $50. In  other words, I paid $100.00 for my duffle bag and one carry-on-size piece of luggage. Aggravation number one.

Did I miss something? When did airlines start charging for a glass of water? Spirit Airlines has no in-flight hospitality whatsoever. Two and a half hours to St. Thomas from Fort Lauderdale and if you get thirsty they are more than happy to sell you a bottle of water. Angst number 2, though I purchased water and snack before boarding. Just the principle of the thing.

On the way back to Florida I exercised the same care packing and this time the bag was 49 lbs. Still under fifty, right? Not as far as  Spirit was concerned. My hosts were with me and heard when I was told I was 9 lbs over weight. So now my one piece of checked baggage should weigh only 40lbs??? I re-shuffled some stuff and checked in at 45 or 44lbs. Rub number 3.

Aside from being put out by the hassle, I guess the point I am making is simply to reiterate the old saw: "If it looks too good to be true it usually is." In these days of fluid pricing, read the fine print when you book a flight. All airlines do not have the same weight limits or luggage charge. AirTran for example charges $20 for the first checked piece and $25 for the second (Ft. Lauderdale to Atlanta). Look out for additional charges on bulkhead or window seats (Spirit will hit you up for an additional $50 for "the big front seat." By now you know, this relationship just ended. Spirit Airlines will not be my carrier of choice (or that of my hosts).

The good note? I had a marvellous trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment