Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Galatians 5 – Driving a Point Home

I approached the intersection preparing to stop if the U-Haul decided to come through instead of making a right turn. It stopped made the turn, to the sound a two loud bangs as a child-size sports car and a box loaded with “stuff” fell from the truck and into the street. I was on my walk, but I waved frantically hoping by some miracle he would see me and possibly notice he was losing his load. But he kept going. I smiled as I heard myself use the biblical expression, “to what shall I liken this? The more I pondered as I resumed my pace was that’s all of us. We pack things up, store them in our hearts and no one sees what those things are until we hit a bump in the road. Then whatever is inside, comes flying out. The people around us are either left to pick up the pieces or reap the rewards. God says we all speak from the fullness of the storehouses of our hearts. When I am full of the fruit of the Spirit and I hit a bump, love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. On the other hand, no matter how great I look or if I seem to be just cruising along with everything under control but my heart is full of what the world has, this is what happens when I hit a bump. Out comes, sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. Fill up on the spirit! And if you are moving and using a U-Haul, (or any kind of vehicle) make sure it's securely locked so you don’t’ lose your valuables on the way to your destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment