Thursday, October 16, 2014

Defining Friendship

Yesterday I remembered I never did post something from "Praying" by J.I. Packer and  Carolyn Nystrom. By far, this is the most important book I have read this year. And I would say if you are serious about understanding and deepening your prayer life, you should add this book to your list.

The authors quote James M. Houston who referenced Aelred, "On Friendship, in the Love of God."
"A friend is a push when you have stopped, a word when you are lonely, a guide when you are searching, a smile when you are sad and a song when you are glad. A human spiritual friend is one who is loyal and has right motives, discretion, and patience in order to help [that] friend know God better. I need a spiritual guide to keep me honest...A true friend in Christ will wake me up, help me grow, and deepen my awareness of God."

After reading the definition I tried applying the description to some people who have been in my life. I quickly concluded I might have used the word a little too freely. Even worse, I quickly realized the countless times I have fallen short of being the friend I could have been.

Whether you are on the giving or the receiving end of a less than perfect friendship, we all have one thing in common, a perfect Friend. Jesus is the friend that is closer than life or breath. As we see the imperfection of earthly relationships, we have the choice of going to him for help. In prayer, we can ask for grace to forgive those who have not quite lived up to their promises our expectations. We can also receive insight into our own behaviors and be reshaped into the people we need to be.

I pray that every day we will make an effort to be the kind of friend to someone, that we would want to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment