Friday, January 12, 2018

Week 6 – More helpful Hints Preparing for the Daniel Plan


In talking to people about what they eat I find a lot are enthusiastic about healthier meals. The big question though is, how do I make it, and what does one do with just vegetables? Let’s remember first of all that the Daniel Plan is not about being vegetarian. So look at your list of foods again. Correctly interpreted this means you can still enjoy many of your favorite meats in healthier versions. It may mean taking a little more time to steam, sauté, or bake instead of frying — but the rewards are great!
Since I’m vegetarian I’ll give you my version of some recipes and you can add meat where necessary. Here’s the reminder again of your meat choices:
MEAT AND SEAFOOD
*All Meat should be free range, organic, antibiotic free, and hormone free
POULTRY
•             Chicken Breast
•             Chicken thighs
•             Whole chicken
•             Turkey breast
•             Whole turkey
•             Ground turkey
SEAFOOD (WILD) - LIMIT SHELLFISH
•             Halibut, steaks or fillets
•             Salmon fillets or steaks
Please notice that pork and red meats are glaringly absent. Did I also mention I use coconut cream as a substitute for broth (among other things)? I find a cup of coconut cream goes a long way.
Try a vegan stew – same ingredients as you would use for a meat based stew. Be sure to sauté your garlic, onions, and peppers before adding the veggies. Pumpkin and/or potato will add “body” to the stew, while chick-peas, mushrooms, and tofu are fun ways to add layers of different textures. Last and most importantly, your body will thank you. Don’t forget there are tons of recipes online. Explore and expand your healthy dietary horizons.
As a side note: I’ll be traveling for the next week and a half and I am not sure what internet access may be available. Will post if I can but if not, I’ll see you on the 27th and we begin the plan in earnest on January 28th.
Game on!


No comments:

Post a Comment