Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Speak the Word


2 Timothy 1:7, Psalm 56: 3,6

 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

While I am okay with acknowledging these are fearful times, I am just as comfortable saying God is not the one tormenting us with fear. So, what are the practical applications of these verses in the present COVID-19 disaster?

First, look for the good news. Consider the statistics on the number of people recovering and where the curve is flattening indicating a lull in the number of new people being infected. Let’s start by limiting the amount of news we are ingesting as this also feed fear. Most importantly, lean hard on the Word of God. In the words of the Psalmist, “When I am afraid, I will trust” Trust God’s care and protection for you, personally. Fill your mind (and mouth) with the Word.

The power referenced here comes from the same Word of God and from his Holy Spirit. I have inner strength because of where my faith lies. I walk confidently that even if the worse happens, to be absent from the body (die) is to be present with the LORD. This gives me power over the fear of death. The power of love causes me to be unselfish as I practice self-care. I think about others, I pray or intercede for others at gut level, the same way I pray for myself. And, by all means, we help others as much as we can.

Now help can take myriad forms. Many people with full pantries and a little bit of a financial cushion are running empty on emotional support. This forced isolation has effectively closed them in with the demons they normally escape by being busy with work and the everyday association with others. There is nowhere to go and seemingly no reprieve. I hope as you read this post, you will think of someone you can call, or text, or reach out to and let them know they are still a part of your community. Loneliness is not a condition exclusively assigned to seniors. It’s widows and orphans, and single-parents who long for the sound of another adult. It’s the divorced or separated who are now trying to figure out the next page of life and suddenly in the midst of everything, the world has gone silent. Bridge the gap.

Last, God gives us self-discipline. One of the most weapons in this particular arsenal is the words we speak. “Life and death are in the power of the tongue.” God has graciously given us a molecule of the power of the spoken word, a seed of the power that spoke creation into being. We just need to be disciplined enough to use it as a verbal agreement with who God says you are. When fear comes activate self-discipline, refuse to give in, and speak the Word.

I am a child of God, I am loved by God, I am valuable – a pearl of great price

I am surrounded by his presence; God places the lonely in families – I am not forgotten

God knows and sees me – even the number of hairs on my head …

Don’t underestimate the Word in your mouth. The Bible says we overcome by the blood and the word of our testimony. Speak faith, speak life, and be encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment