Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The Matter of Obedience...


It’s super easy to quote Scripture. I mean, all one has to do is memorize and speak. This, however,


does not make one an expert or even a follower of Christ. Jesus said the demons believe, not just know, but believe in his claims as Messiah and tremble. However, the component of faith and even more specifically obedience, is completely lacking.
Our obedience is not dependent on what we think of the subject. It should be enough to submit to God’s directive. It’s about now that we begin to wish the Christian walk was just a leeeetle bit easier.
Jesus says to be his disciples we must love. Love our enemies. And the instruction book may well be 1 Corinthians 13. On my part, let me hasten to say, I have the textbook and still fail the test!
Jesus says we are to give thanks in everything. It is the will of God for us.
How about this one: Rejoice always (evermore). Mood swings are not even “a thing” where this is concerned.
I will close with the command that is going to get me in trouble. See, I already admit it. But I have to mention it because this is God’s idea and I teach the whole truth (as much as I am able).
So, here goes: Pray for your leaders. What? The Bible says that? Yes, it does. But let’s finish the quote.
“First of all, then, I urge that petitions (specific requests), prayers, intercessions (prayers for others) and thanksgivings be offered on behalf of all people, for [a]kings and all who are in [positions of] high authority, so that we may live a peaceful and quiet life in all godliness and dignity” (Timothy 2:1-2 Amplified Bible).
Do we see what the benefits of this particular act of obedience are: peace, a quiet life, godliness, and dignity. If you have never obeyed in this area, please, do so now when the fate of billions are at stake.
The takeaway is, God’s purpose behind obedience is not just to honor him (the universe already does that perfectly) but to enrich our lives.
And quite frankly, if Christ’s followers do not obey Him, who will?






No comments:

Post a Comment