Saturday, May 9, 2020

The Truth Rises

Weekly Word from the Wisdom Walk
I find in this season of unscheduled inactivity, cooking passes the time better than almost any other activity. So, when I came across a simple recipe for raisin buns, I was only too willing to make them.
As I assembled the ingredients I voiced my misgivings to my daughter that the proportion of yeast to flour was not right.
Against my better judgement, I went along with it, scrupulously measuring everything (that was strange of itself) and adding no extra ingredients.
The dough felt dry and hard but I decided to see the process through. In a few words, I ended up with rock hard pieces of dough, a far cry from the fragrant, delicious treats we were all anticipating. The very next day I redid the recipe using the proportions and no-fail method I have used in my years of making bread. This time I had the results I craved.
The experience reminded me of a valuable life  lesson.  Namely, there is no excuse to digress from the truth we know to pursue something that fills us with uneasiness or downright doubt. We are not given a free pass because someone swears by a better way. Do WE know the truth? Have we proven God to be gracious? Then walk in that truth.
The hesitancy we feel when we are being lured by false promises is none other than the Spirit of Truth throwing up a warning. Pursuing a lie is a lot of hard, useless work and the outcome will never justify the effort. Our best defense is to stick to the old paths, follow the God we have proven to be faithful, and trust the Word within our hearts. When we do, we will rise to God's desire for us and by so doing satisfy the hunger of a dying world.

No comments:

Post a Comment